Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stephanie Lee is So Cool...and I'm not!

First off, let me say that I LOVE this book. I bought "Semiprecious Salvage" by Stephanie Lee in March of 2008.  Over three years ago.  Her "rustic" style of jewelry gave me more courage to play & try my own crazy ideas.  I dog-eared this book. The sure sign of book-love.  And I'm going to take a class with Stephanie this Sunday in Petaluma!!! Art Is You~~Yay!

Here is a page from Stephanie's book.  For 3 and 1/2 years, I've wanted to make these cool solder bezel charms.  It took forever to find copper tape (in the garden department in Home Depot!!) and even after I found the tape, I was just chicken to attempt it.  Today I decided that I had to "woman up" and try.  Just try. 

So here I am, modeling the latest attractive facewear.  Bifocal glasses, magnifying reader glasses and respirator mask.  I know I'm hot!  Oh yeah.  I set up my soldering station and began the experiment.  And.....I sucked!!! Seriously, pardon my vulgarity, but I was sooooo clumsy and awkward and hilarious...The Three Stooges all rolled into one person.  Solder dripping everywhere, jump rings falling over and sticking where they shouldn't....I had to laugh.  And say a few naughty words.

Here's my soldering station after I made a mess.

Here's what I did.  First one far left.  Total fail!  The jump ring simply would NOT stand up.   It's soldered to the side looking dumb.  Middle and right ones are so goofily amateurish but I'm wearing them!

Got a little more comfortable with my little torch.  Yay!

And here's me without my gorgeous facewear and extra glasses.  I'm pretty proud of my funkily soldered stones and ready to have an amazing time at Stephanie Lee's class.
I wish all my jewelry friends could be there too~~would THAT be fun.
Anyway, may you all have a blessed week and may creative moments light up your days.  Love you!

6 comments:

CS said...

Congratulations!! You did it and soldered some very cool pendants. Have a great class...looking forward to hearing about it.

In the Light of the Moon said...

You go Girl!!! I am STILL learning how to get it just right..its a process thats for sure..but the first step is always picking up the torch...Phew I was sooo intimidated...by the torch...I think your crystals look awesome!!I can definately see you getting better and better...Ooooh how I wish I could be there with you sister Kerr.Hugs,Cat

Diane said...

Chris...you are sooooo funny! Hey, say hello to Riki and Diana, as they will both be there! Tell them you were the friend I visited after I left the central coast! You are going to love her class...tell Stephanie I said hello too =) xo

Bear Chick said...

Oh, sweetie! We all gotta start somewhere. I think my first "fails" are some of the pieces dearest to my heart. Stephanie will be lucky to have you in her class! Have fun!

Burmese jade said...

Awww... That's so brave of you. Congratulations. Finally you got the courage to try it. Those pendants are cool.

Anonymous said...

The third looks good! Next time you will find it a breeze and the time after you will 'nail' it. You know that! Funny post anyway.

I LOVE that book as it got me into making jewellery three years ago. Lucky you going to her class. Give her a hug from me!